Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Some of the most prominent people in the development of Omaha are buried among the 15,000 graves dating back to 1858. The caretaker’s residence was built in 1918 at this north Omaha property. The plot itself was developed by Byron Reed, an early Omaha real estate developer. “Not only is this place of significant age, it is a collection of amazing stories of individuals that built our historic city,” says Omaha Landmarks Inc. President Paul Nelson. "It is an extremely beautiful place that is set apart from its surroundings."
This land near Hastings was once part of the farm operation at the state mental hospital, known as Ingleside and later as Hastings Regional Center. The farm was active before 1894 and until the late 1960s. The barn being used for the educational activities was built around 1931. The property is now being used to teach agriculture appreciation, outdoor education, cultural traditions and the wise use of natural resources. The farm once grew fields of cabbage and had banana trees in the greenhouses.
The National Register District on the edge of North Downtown Omaha represents one of three patterns of industrial development along railroad lines in Midwestern towns which were formed simultaneously with railroads. This district is not yet on the radar or in the typical websites or brochure racks. It is an area on the cusp of redevelopment and also home to Omaha’s Hot Shops, 50 art studios, four art galleries and many exhibition spaces.
The community was the boyhood home of Nebraska Poet Laureate John G. Neihardt from 1900-1921. The town was the boyhood through age 40 home of Neihardt who lived in a house built in 1880. The Neihardt Center has preserved Neihardt’s study in an interpretive center opened in 1976. The property is presently owned by the Nebraska State Historical Society. Many buildings from the Neihardt era remain in the community.
Built by the O’Hanlon family in 1890, the elegant Chadron House was adorned with gold and green wallpaper, carpet from Brussels and marble washstands in each room. Some of those luxuries remain for modern day tourists who visit the place which has been run by three generations of innkeepers for more than 100 years. Once a booming business in the National Register District downtown, the hotel is among a handful of local sites that have remained in continuous service.
George and Sarah Joslyn constructed one of Nebraska’s greatest homes—a 35-room Scottish Baronial mansion atop a hill on Omaha’s outskirts – in 1903.The 19,360 square foot four-story house was completed at a cost of $250,000 in 11 months and features a rich use of carved wood, stained glass, chiseled stone, mosaic tiles, and wrought iron. The Castle and the carriage house were built of Kansas silverdale limestone. It includes a reception hall, music room, ballroom, a library and gold drawing room.
A fine example of a church built by African-Americans in greater Nebraska. The original building is still standing with minor alterations and still serving a Black congregation. Set apart by its historical significance [potentially eligible for the National Register as a religious property significant in the area of settlement], the church was built in 1904 and has been in continuous use for more than 100 years.
Constructed from 1907 to 1910, the 10,000 square-foot house built by William Faling in Cambridge is now used as a bed and breakfast. The neoclassic architecture, original fixtures and faux painting by Hansen and Willer were noted in the 1999 nomination to the National Register. Preservationists say the house is set apart from others by its size [10,000 square feet], the quantity and quality of the architectural detail, the faux paintings, Austrian leaded and beveled windows, millworks and original fixtures.
This National Register District downtown was nominated by the Heritage Nebraska Main Street Advisory Committee. Fremont has had a Main Street program since 1994, before the state Main Street program started. Downtown Fremont has many late 1800’s era buildings, several on-going preservation projects and a collection of antique and boutique shops as well as a mix of businesses from clothing to hardware and shoes. A recent streetscape project featuring historic reproduction streetlamps was seen as the icing on the cake.